Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana (PMSMY) : Details & Eligibility
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has done many development works in our country and we all know that the Prime Minister Jan Dhan Yojana is very much at the level and there are many schemes under it and one of them. Prime Minister’s Safe Mitra Campaign. In our country on 9th June 2016, the Honorable Shri Narendra Modi started the Prime Minister Safe Matritva Abhiyan, this scheme is for pregnant women.
What Is Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana?
The Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan goals to improve the quality and coverage of Antenatal Care (ANC) including diagnostics and counselling services as part of the Reproductive Maternal Neonatal Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) Strategy.
Objectives Of Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana
The PMSMA follows these objectives:
- To ensure at least one antenatal checkup for all pregnant women in their second or third trimester by a physician/specialist
- To improve the quality of care during ante-natal visits. This includes ensures following services:
- All applicable diagnostic services
- Screening for the applicable clinical conditions
- Appropriate management of any existing clinical condition such as Anemia, Pregnancy induced hypertension, Gestational Diabetes etc.
- Appropriate counselling services and proper documentation of services rendered
- Additional service opportunity to pregnant women who have missed ante-natal visits
- To identification and line-listing of high risk pregnancies based on obstetric/ medical history and existing clinical conditions.
- To appropriate birth planning and complication readiness for each pregnant woman especially those identified with any risk factor or co-morbid condition.
- To emphasis especially on early diagnosis, adequate and appropriate management of women with malnutrition.
- To focus on adolescent and early pregnancies as these pregnancies need extra and specialized care.
Beneficiaries Under Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana
- Rural Areas
- Primary Health Centers
- Community Health Centers
- Rural Hospitals
- Sub – District Hospital – District Hospital – Medical College Hospital
- Urban Areas – Urban Dispensaries
- Urban Health Posts
- Maternity Homes
Features Of Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana (PMSMA)
PMSMA is based on the premise that if every pregnant woman in India is examined by a physician and appropriately investigated at least once during the PMSMA and then appropriately followed up the process can result in reduction in the number of maternal and neonatal deaths in our country.
- Antenatal checkup services would be provided by OBGY specialists/Radiologist/physicians with support from private sector doctors to supplement the efforts of the government sector.
- A minimum package of antenatal care services (including investigations and drugs) would be provided to the beneficiaries on the 9th day of every month at identified public health facilities (PHCs/CHCs, DHs/urban health facilities etc) in both urban and rural areas in addition to the routine ANC at the health facility/ outreach.
- Using the principles of a single window system, it is envisaged that a minimum package of investigations and medicines such as IFA supplements, calcium supplements etc would be provided to all pregnant women attending the PMSMA clinics.
- While the target would reach out to all pregnant women, special efforts would be made to reach out to women who have not registered for ANC (left out/missed ANC) and also those who have registered but not availed ANC services (dropout) as well as High Risk pregnant women.
- OBGY specialists/ Radiologist/physicians from private sector would be encouraged to provide voluntary services at public health facilities where government sector practitioners are not available or inadequate.
- Pregnant women would be given Mother and Child Protection Cards and safe motherhood booklets.
- One of the critical components of the Abhiyan is identification and follow up of high risk pregnancies. A sticker indicating the condition and risk factor of the pregnant women would be added onto MCP card for each visit:
- Green Sticker– for women with no risk factor detected
- Red Sticker – for women with high risk pregnancy
- A National Portal for PMSMA and a Mobile application have been developed to facilitate the engagement of private/ voluntary sector.
- ‘IPledgeFor9’ Achievers Awards have been devised to celebrate individual and team achievements and acknowledge voluntary contributions for PMSMA in states and districts across India.
Topics For Counselling Sessions Under Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Yojana
- Care during pregnancy.
- Danger signs during pregnancy.
- Birth preparedness & Complication readiness, contact details to be used in case of need
- Family Planning
- Importance of nutrition including iron – folic acid consumption and calcium supplementation.
- Safe sex
- Institutional delivery.
- Identification of referral transport.
- Entitlements under Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY)
- Entitlements and service guarantee under Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (JSSK)
- Post – natal care.
- Breastfeeding and complementary feeding.