National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS)
National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
National Apprenticeships Promotion Scheme launched on19th August 2016 is a new scheme by the Government of India to promote the apprenticeships in the country. NAPS was flagged off by our honourable Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his recent visit to Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. The scheme aims at providing apprenticeship training to over 50 Lakh youngsters with the goal of creating more and more job opportunities for them. The scheme has an estimated budgetary outlay of approximately Rs 10,000 Crore.
Need Of NAPS
• For the promotion of apprenticeship training
• Incentivizing employers who are looking to engage in apprentices.
• For increasing the number of engagements of apprentices from the current 2.3 lakh to 50 lakh cumulatively by 2020.
Major Components of NAPS
• Reimbursement of 25% of prescribed stipend subject to a maximum of Rs. 1500/- per month per apprentice by the Government of India to all employers who engage apprentices.
• Reimbursement of cost of basic training that limits upto a sum of Rs. 7500/- for a maximum of 500 hours/3 months by the Government of India to Basic Training Providers (BTPs) in respect of apprentices who come directly for apprenticeship training without any formal training.
Implementation of the Scheme
• Regional Directorates of Apprenticeship Training (RDATs) are the chief implementing agencies for Central Public Sector Undertakings and the other private establishments operating in 4 or more States.
• State Apprenticeship Advisers are the chief implementing agencies for State Public Sector Undertakings and Private Sectors establishments in their respective States.
Apprenticeship training is a course of training in any industry or establishment. It consists of basic training and on-the-job-training (OJT)/practical training at workplace. Basic training consists of theoretical and practical instructions relating to the trade in which on-the-job-training is to be imparted. It is mandatory for those who have not done any formal training in an ITI or in those courses under PMKVY/MES which have been granted equivalence with basic training. The duration of basic training would be 1/5 or ¼ of the overall apprenticeship training provided.
An individual, who is 14 years of age, physically fit and have minimum educational qualification prescribed for a trade under the apprenticeship training can undergo the apprenticeship training.
The upper cap on the age in respect of fresher apprentice is of 21 years.
Along with this, the candidate has to register for the scheme through the website and must possess an Aadhar number for the purpose of identification and verification.
Sectors Covered Under Apprenticeship training
• Agriculture and Allied Services
• Bamboo Jute and Green Technology
• Banking Financial Service and Insurance
• Capital Goods
• Coating and Painting
• Domestic Workers
• Electrical (Including New and Renewable Energy)
• Entertainment and Media
• Gems and Jewelry
• Furniture and Fittings
• IT and ITES
• Food Processing and Preservation
• Industrial Automation and Instrumentation
• Plumbing and Sanitation Technology
• Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
• Glass Infrastructure
• Life Science
• Marine Healthcare and Wellness
• Iron & Steel Mining and Minerals
• Plastics Production and Manufacturing
• Services including Repair and Maintenance
• Tourism and Hospitality
• Retail and Logistics
• Soft Skills and Entrepreneurship
• Textile and Handlooms
Eligibility Criteria For Basic Training Provider (BTP)
• Government & Private Industrial Training Institutes.
• Industries/ establishments with in-house basic training facilities ( subject to physical verification by RDATs)
• Basic Training Centres set up/supported by industry clusters ( subject to physical verification by RDATs)
• In case any industry or establishment does not want support under the basic training component of NAPS ( Rs 7500/- for upto 500 hours) then it will not be required to go through the physical verification
Eligilbilty For Apprenticeship Training